Newbie’s Guide to Football Betting – How it Works and What to Expect
Photo by Thomas Serer on Unsplash
A lot of avid football fans enjoy betting on matches. Others want to bet on football matches just for the thrill of winning cash. Which type of better are you? If you’re just a newbie in this business and you want to know how it works and what you should expect from it, this article is the perfect guide for you.
What you need to know
Before you start familiarizing yourself with the top football betting tips, you need to understand the basic terms used in the business first.
- Stake – It’s the total amount of money you place on your football bet.
- Bankroll – The amount of money you are willing to risk for the bet. You will use this as your basis for your starting stake.
- Double chance betting – when you bet on two possible results of a match.
- 3-way handicap – It’s another type of betting system. It’s more popularly called as European handicap. This is used when one team virtually leads the match. You will have to bet on the outcome of the game.
- Full-time result – It’s often referred to as 1×2 betting. In this type of betting, the final score after the second half of the bet is used to determine the outcome.
- Asian Handicap – This type of betting is used when one of the teams gets more advantage over the other. You have to bet on which team would win within the additional handicap.
- Accumulator- A group of single football bets combined together. You can potentially win thousands through the help of accumulators. It would, however, require every bet on your group to win.
Singles vs Accumulators
Photo by Pixabay from Pexels
You can bet two ways. Your first option is single betting. If you win the bet, you can easily get the money. A lot of football bettors opt for this option. If you want to double or triple the fun and your chances of winning big, you may opt for an accumulator. In this setup, similar single bets are grouped together. If every bet wins, you will get the money. Otherwise, you won’t win any penny.
Before joining an accumulator, you must compare the odds of the competing teams of the football match. This will help you choose which team you should bet your money on and lessen your risk of losing a lot of cash.
How to get your way with the bookmakers
You will most definitely encounter different bookmakers, both offline and online. Each bookie tends to have a different dealing style. Some of them are very particular with the way they deal with bettors.
It’s crucial to use a bookie when you bet on any game. Before choosing one, you should check their differences first. When do they consider an accumulator void? When do they decide to remove a game and the pay out? How long does the bookie validate a game?
You also need to look into the policies of your selected bookmaker. Check if they remove bonuses because of too you won too much cash. Determine if they ban bettors because of some certain rules and regulations. Don’t forget to check the minimum withdrawal limit too.
Useful tips when betting on a football match
Photo by Richard Boyle on Unsplash
Now that you’re acquainted with the fundamental concepts, you need to know a few advanced betting tips.
First of all, you should be a wise bettor. Never bet on a team just because you’re their fan. You should only bet your money on them if they can win the game. The same is true for the teams that you don’t like. Just because you don’t like them doesn’t mean you should bet against them.
The second tip is to know when to draw the line. You should never ever be greedy when you bet on a match. This will only result in money loss or worst, bankruptcy. Set your betting limit and make sure that you stick to it. Remember to bet money that you can afford to lose. Never go beyond that.
The last tip is to seek professional help if your football betting hobby becomes a problem. Gambling can be highly addictive. A lot of people have lost their way because they became too greedy. Focus on the fun part of this activity. If things start to get sour, it’s definitely worth it to consult a counselor who can help you develop a healthier habit.
Football has definitely changed a lot over the years. The only thing that remained is the undying love of football fanatics from all parts of the globe. Whether you’re an avid fan, an aspiring football player or just a curious gambler who want to have more fun, you should definitely try betting on football matches at some point in your life. Make sure to keep in mind all of the tips we provided above. These can help you learn the ropes much faster.